CUI Secured International Organization for Standardization (ISO) ISO 9001:2015
Quality Enhancement Cell (QEC) is responsible for the implementation of Quality Assurance and Assessment Process(QAAP) across COMSATS University Islamabad (CUI). The system follow theQEC coordination with the Campus Quality Coordinators, initiates the systematic process of gathering, reviewing and using important quantitative and qualitative data and information from multiple and diverse sources about educational programs, for the purpose of improving student learning, and evaluating whether academic and learning standards are being met. The process culminates when assessment results are used to improve student learning. A successful assessment program includes the following:
CUI Leadership inspired to attain International Standards of quality services and management systems at all Campuses and Principal Seat to acquire ISO 9001:2008 Certification to compete in International Higher Education Market.
ISO 9001:2008 Certification (QMS)
ISO 9001:2008 Standard is a worldwide standard of Quality Management System (QMS). Implementation of the standard generates internal and external benefits for the organization. Basically, it provides a framework to systematically institutionalize the strategic plan, focus resources and communicate progress to establish customer satisfaction-oriented quality system which is internationally recognized. CUI had earlier acquired the International Certificate of ISO 9001:2008 in August 2011 for the period of three years. Upon completion of the three years tenure in 2014 the CUIs’ six campuses have been recertified for the next three years from January 2015 to January 2018. The concept of certification is not only to get an international certification, but it also provides a road map to continuously improve organizational strength and quality of education and services in CUI System.
ISO 9001:2015 Certificate of Registration (QMS)
In February 2018 CUI attained Certificate of Registration to comply the requirements established in the standard ISO 9001:2015 “Quality Management System- Requirements”.
QEC, CUI Acts as Focal Point for ISO Certification Process
QEC CUI has the mandate to initiate and complete the ISO certification processes in CUI System. As per CUI Quality Policy, the quality of higher education has top priority. The QEC team is involved in preparing the various departments and offices of all campuses for the Annual Surveillance Audit by external auditors. The Annual Surveillance Audits of all campuses for the 1st three years tenure were conducted by the External ISO Auditors of M/s DAS Pakistan (Pvt.) Ltd. For the 2nd three years tenure of ISO certification M/S NQA, affiliated with UK’s ISO Certificate Awarding Agency UKAS, has conducted the External ISO Audit of all campuses in the months of October and November 2014 for Re-Certification. For 3rd three years tenure of ISO certification M/S STAREGITER USA has conducted the External ISO Audit of CUI in the month January 2018 for Re-Certification.
An ongoing process involves the review and updating of all documents related to the campuses and Principal Seat as per ISO requirement. These documents pertain to:
- Vision and Mission of CUI
- Job Descriptions of all the teaching and administrative staff.
- Organizational Charts
- Standard Operating Procedures of each task of every department/section
- Teaching and operational SMART Quality Objectives.
- Selection/Training of the Task Force.
- Internal Audit by Internal Auditors.
- Removal of Non-Conformances (NCs) & Observations.
ISO Annual Audit by the External Auditors
For the Re-certification external audit is conducted by the ISO External Auditors during January 2018 and on the successful completion of the audit the External Auditors recommended and arranged the issuance of QMS Certificates to six campuses by the M/S STAREGITER of USA, which ensures that an effective Quality Management System is in place at the institute.
The External Auditors beside the above-mentioned documents/record also checked & reviewed the following documents/records:
- Quality Manual of the campus;
- Record of two Management Review Meetings (meeting notification, agenda on ISO affairs, minutes of the meetings).
- Records of Two Internal Audits per year.
- Internal audit team(s) approval, its notification and internal audit schedule issued by the internal audit team.
- Team leader’s audit report to the concerned HOD indicating non-conformance (if any) with the request for corrective action.
- Concerned department’s intimation to audit team about the corrective action taken by them.
- Audit team’s confirmation report about the corrective actions.
- Submission of audit report by the audit team leader to the MR.
- Process and record of purchase and stores