Dr. Muhammad Haris Hamayun is currently working as an Assistant Professor at the Department of Chemical Engineering, COMSATS University Islamabad (CUI), Lahore Campus.
He holds a B.Sc. degree in Chemical Engineering from the Institute of Chemical Engineering and Technology (ICET), University of Punjab (PU), where he graduated with a remarkable academic record as a Gold Medalist in 2013. He continued his academic pursuit and earned his M.Sc. degree in Chemical Engineering from ICET, PU in 2017, where he once again demonstrated his academic excellence and earned the Silver Medalist title. In 2022, he received his Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering from the Department of Chemical Engineering at the University of Engineering and Technology (UET), Lahore, where he maintained a distinguished academic performance with an overall CGPA of 3.95.
Dr. Hamayun's professional journey started in May 2013 when he joined Nimir Chemicals (Pvt.) Ltd. as a Graduate Trainee Engineer (GTE) for a brief period of 3 months. He then joined Engro Eximp Agri Products (Pvt.) Ltd. in August 2013, where he served as GTE for one year and Assistant Manager of Utilities and Processes for 11 months. In August 2015, he joined COMSATS University Islamabad (CUI), Lahore Campus as a Research Associate, and has since then advanced in his career, becoming a Lecturer in February 2020, and most recently, an Assistant Professor in January 2023.
Dr. Hamayun's professional responsibilities at CUI include teaching both theoretical and laboratory courses, administrative duties such as overseeing the FYDP office, CQIC office, Batch Advisor, Safety Office, CRC Office, research work, and supervision. Currently, he is teaching the courses (1) Chemical Engineering Plant Design and (2) Process Modeling and Simulation, and serving as Senior Student Advisor, Leading Marketing and Admissions Committees. He has also supervised/co-supervised eight dissertations of BS Chemical Engineering.
- Process Modeling and Simulation (Theory and Lab)
- Chemical Process Design and Simulations
- Chemical Reaction Engineering (Theory and Lab)
- Chemical Engineering Plant Design
- Simultaneous Heat and Mass Transfer Operations (Lab)
- Pinch Technology
Research Interests and Reviewer Role:
Dr. Hamayun's research interests lie in the field of Process Simulation, Design, Optimization, and Catalysis. He is a member of Catalysis & Reaction Engineering Research Group at CUI. He has published fourteen (14) research articles in international journals with a cumulative impact factor of 60.102, and an h-index of 08. and is an HEC-approved Ph.D. supervisor. He is currently serving as a reviewer for 03 prestigious international journals in the fields of engineering and science, known for their high impact and rigorous standards. He is a certified user of Aspen HYSYS and a resource person for Aspen HYSYS/Plus training (https://www.credential.net/bfa49ee7-a957-4ebc-961f-f422f6971d08).
BS Chemical Engineering
- A plant design project on the production of 100 metric tons per day of sustainable ammonia using renewable energy, 2023 (In Progress).
- A plant design project on the petrol and diesel production from 100 metric tons/day of waste plastic, 2023 (In-Progress).
- A plant design project on the production of 500 metric tons per day of nitric acid from ammonia, 2022.
- A plant design project on the production of 100 metric tons per day of cyclohexane from benzene, 2022.
- A plant design project on the production of 20 metric tons per day of cumene by UP Q-Max process, 2022.
- A plant design project on the production of 2500 metric tons per day of ammonia by holder topsoe process, 2021.
- A plant design project on the production of 200 metric tons per day of styrene via catalytic dehydrogenation of ethylbenzene, 2021.
- A plant design project on the production of 30,000 barrels per day of ultra-low sulfur diesel by diesel hydrodesulfurization process, 2021.
- A plant design project on production of 1200 kmol per day of hydrogen from biogas, 2020.
- A plant design project on gasification of 30 tons per day of bagasse to produce syngas, 2016.
MS Chemical Engineering
- Moeen Ali Rashad: Biodiesel Production using Waste Cooking Oil with Novel Heterogeneous Catalysts Synthesized from Chicken Eggshells-Sourced CaO Supported on Activated Carbon Derived from Waste Coconut Shells and Pith (Role: Supervisor, In-Progress, 2023).
- Farea Asif: Dehydrogenation of Perhydro-dibenzyltoluene for Hydrogen Storage: A Simulation Study (Role: Co-Supervisor, 2021).
Dr. Hamayun's outstanding academic and professional achievements are a testament to his dedication and passion for his field, and he is committed to making significant contributions to the field of Chemical Engineering through his research, teaching, and supervision activities.